March 4, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V138000
A detached tie rod ball joint can cause a loss of steering control, and increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V138
Manufacturer Nissan North America, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,407
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Nissan Altima vehicles. The tie rod ball joint fastener was not tightened properly, which could result in the tie rod ball joint detaching from the steering knuckle.
Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will tighten the left and right-side tie rod ball joint fasteners, or install new fasteners as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 31, 2021. Owners may contact Nissan customer service at 1-800-867-7769. Nissan’s number for this recall is PC795.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
March 4, 2021
Mr. Jeff Giuseppe
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Attn: Recall Management Division (NVS-215)
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20590
Dear Mr. Giuseppe:
We are transmitting the enclosed Defect Information Report in accordance with 49 CFR Part 573. A voluntary recall campaign will be initiated and your office provided with the notices.
DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Nissan North America, Inc., Canton Plant
- Units Potentially Involved:
This issue is unique to the above manufacturing range based on torque setting changes specific to Canton produced Altima models manufactured during a specified period. Other models do not use this process and are therefore unaffected by the issue described in Section 5 below.
The name, description and part number of the recalled components are below:
|Part Name||Part Description||Part Number(s)|
- Total Number of Vehicles Potentially Involved:
- Percentage of Vehicles Estimated to Actually Contain the Defect:
- Description of the Defect:
Due to a back-up process manufacturing error, the tie rod ball joint fastener was not tightened to proper specification. If this condition occurs, the customer may experience steering wheel vibration due to the loose tie rod ball joint fastener. If the fastener comes off completely and the ball joint separates from the steering knuckle, sudden partial steering loss can occur, which may increase the risk of a crash.
- Chronology of Principle Events:
December 11, 2020, Nissan became aware of a dealer report involving loss of steering while driving, in which the vehicle was towed to a Nissan dealer. Inspection of the subject vehicle revealed that the tie rod ball joint fastener became loose, fell off, and the tie rod ball joint separated from steering knuckle. Nissan immediately began to investigate the issue.
The investigation revealed that a back-up process was utilized in production for the incident vehicle and a limited number of Altima vehicles. This back-up process resulted in inconsistent torque control capability. As a result, the rod ball joint fastener on the incident vehicle was not torqued to proper specification.
In late January 2021, Nissan confirmed that 2,526 Altima vehicles underwent the back-up process during production. Nissan conducted a yard audit on affected vehicles at the Canton plant and repaired forty-eight (48) vehicles with loose tie rod ball joint fasteners.
On February 12, 2021, Nissan launched a quality hold and Dealer Action to inspect all units in dealer inventory.
February 25, 2021 – Nissan made a decision to recall all potentially affected vehicles to inspect, and if necessary, remedy the issue.
As of the date of determination, Nissan is aware of four (4) field reports attributed to this condition. Nissan confirmed that all four (4) incident vehicles underwent the back-up process during production. In all cases, the tie rod ball joint fastener and washer were missing. In three (3) of the cases, the tie rod detached from the steering knuckle. No accidents or injuries were reported.
- Description of Corrective Action:
Owners of all potentially affected vehicles will be notified beginning on March 31, 2021 to take their vehicle to a Nissan dealer where they will re-tighten the left and right hand tie rod ball joint fasteners to specification. If the fastener is missing, the dealer will install a new fastener and washer and tighten to specification. Dealers will be notified on March 5, 2021.
Nissan will not include a statement in the Part 577 owner notification concerning reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy for the subject vehicles because they are still under warranty.
- Copy of Notices:
Copies of all notices will be provided to NHTSA as they become available.
2 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
March 4, 2021 DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- designed for the inner tie rods that are inaccessible to adjust.
- The inner tie rod can be easily removed and installed
- by slipping the long socket over the tie rod end and connecting it to the open-jaw driver.
- Practical: the 3/8" Inner Tie Rod Tool turns smooth tie rods easily and remove inner tie rods without removing the outer tie rod
- Compatibility: fit for all standard tie rods with smooth cylinder ends; Work on any rod that fits between the 3" top and bottom components with both 9/16" nuts screwed on and tightened
- Easy to use: simply slide tool over the end and tighten collar to allow access with a 3/8" drive extension; adapters can be used for larger breaker bars/extensions
- Strong grip: tool teeth grip the tie rod securely as you plug in a socket wrench or breaker bar and turn these smooth tie rod ends
- Convenient: design with compact/low profile means no bulky tool to store; Best tool for servicing inner tie rods to easily remove, repair and installation
- Turns smooth tie rods easily
- Simply slide tool over the end and tighten collar to allow access with an extension
- Can remove Inner tie rod without removing the outer tie rod
- No more bulky tool to store
- Inexpensive and effective way to turn these smooth tie rod ends
- Made to be the most reliable tools in the market today
- Tool solutions for most all situations
- Built to exceed tool standards
- Designed for removing the inner tie rod
- Includes 1-5/16 inches, 1-3/16 inches and 1-71/6 inches adapters
- ALL IN ONE FRONT END SERVICE KIT: Containing 5 adjustable tools for a wide range of domestic and import vehicles. Comes with 1x Ball Joint Separator, 1x Tie Rod and Ball Joint Remover, 1x Conical Pitman Arm Puller, 1x Pitman Arm and Tie Rod End Puller, 1x Pitman Arm Puller, 1x well-organized ABS case.
- HARDENED ALLOY CONSTRUCTION: Extraordinarily tough and durable alloy means these tools can stand up to the toughest jobs. This front end service tool kit can remove the most stubborn ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES: The versatile design allows this tool to be used as a pitman arm remover, ball joint separator, or tie rod end puller for many small, domestic rear-wheel-drive vehicles, import vehicles, and light trucks.
- PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE ABS CASE: The custom-molded case is crafted from high-quality ABS hard plastic for the amateur or professional mechanic on the go. Conveniently keeps all your tools in one organized and secure place. Never miss out on a job or project from a misplaced tool.
- ORION MOTOR TECH PROMISE: If any issues from our tools arise please don’t hesitate to contact us. We guarantee the quality of our tools and want to ensure you’re only getting the best. Because to do perform your best, you deserve the best, that’s our Orion Motor Tech Promise.
- Bushcraft 101 A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- Canterbury, Dave (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 256 Pages - 09/01/2014 (Publication Date) - Adams Media (Publisher)
- 【 Easy to Use 】 EWK inner tie rod tool makes it easy to remove and re-install inner tie rods without removing the whole rack and pinion. Fits tie rods for rack and pinion steering on most Chrysler, Ford, GM, truck, SUV vehicles. **Note: Before purchase, please refer to your vehicle owner's manual for the inner tie rod size.
- 【 Wide Application 】 1-3/16” for Ford front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles of new style tie rods; 1-5/16” for Ford rear-wheel drive (RWD) and most Chrysler vehicles with racks and pinion power steering of new style tie rods; 1-7/16” for GM and Chrysler cars with Saginaw in steering gear.
- 【 Comprehensive Kit 】 Includes an inner tie rod wrench and 3 sizes hex adapters. Constructed from durable chrome steel for long lasting quality. The tie rod end tool works with your 1/2” drive wrench.
- 【 Improve Efficiency 】 Highly recommend by professional mechanics. EWK tie rod end removal tool makes the difficult job a breeze. Complete the hassle job with right tools, Order Yours Now!
- 【 Excellent Support 】 Service and Quality guaranteed! EWK provides you premium quality tools with 12 months limited warranty. If there is any problem or concern with our products, please contact us for assistance.
- INNER TIE ROD REMOVAL TOOL Set: Includes 12 sizes of crowfoot-style adapters: 1-3/16", 1-1/4", 1-5/16", 1-3/8", 1-7/16", 1-1/2" and 29 mm, 32. 5 mm, 33. 6 mm, 38. 4 mm, 40 mm, 42 mm; Easily remove most inner tie rod ends
- ULTRA DURABLE: Tie rod puller tool's crowfoot adapters are nickel plated for durability
- WIDELY USEFUL INNER TIE ROD TOOL: Tube Handle Inner Diameter is 2.125 In. to Service Small Cars, Pick-ups and Large SUVs
- USE A RATCHET OR BREAKER BAR: 1/2 Inch drive tube handle makes it easy to remove and re-install to proper torque
- EFFORTLESS ORGANIZATION: Tie rod end removal tool comes in a blow mold case for easy organization
- Practical: Use the ABN Inner Tie Rod Tool 3/8” Inch to remove inner tie rods without having to extract outer tie rods
- Compatible: For all standard tie rods with smooth cylinder ends; Will work on any rod that fits between the 3” top and bottom components with both 9/16” nuts screwed on and tightened
- Easy to Use: Slide tool over end and tighten collar to allow access with a 3/8” drive extension; adapters can be used for larger breaker bars/extensions
- Strong Grip: Tool teeth grip the tie rod securely as you plug in a socket wrench or breaker bar and turn as necessary
- Convenient: Compact/low profile design means no bulky tool to store; Inexpensive and effective way to turn smooth tie rod ends
- Tie rod/Pitman arm adjusting set
- Consists of one Pitman arm and four tie rod tools
- Included in a blow-molded storage case
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API