May 27, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V402000
The steering knuckle or rear axle could deform upon impact, such as from hitting a curb, resulting in a loss of steering control, or possible wheel separation. Both of these conditions can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V402
Manufacturer Nissan North America, Inc.
Potential Number of Units Affected 14,276
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain 2020 Nissan Murano, INFINITI QX60, 2021 Nissan GT-R, INFINITI QX50, and Q50 vehicles. The front steering knuckle or rear axle housing may have insufficient strength due to improper heat-treatment.
Dealers will inspect and replace the front steering knuckle and rear axle housing, as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 23, 2021. Nissan owners may contact customer service at 1-800-867-7669. INFINITI owners may contact customer service at 1-800-662-6200.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
May 27, 2021
Mr. Jeff Giuseppe
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Attn: Recall Management Division (NVS-215)
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20590
Dear Mr. Giuseppe:
We are transmitting the enclosed Defect Information Report in accordance with 49 CFR
Part 573. A voluntary recall campaign will be initiated and your office provided with the
Nissan North America, Inc.
One Nissan Way
Franklin, TN 37067
PO Box 685001
Franklin, TN 37068
DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Nissan North America Inc., Smyrna plant
Nissan North America Inc., Canton plant
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Tochigi plant
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes (COMPAS)
2. Vehicles Potentially Involved:
Certain Nissan and INFINITI vehicles shown in the table below:
Model Year/Model Dates of Manufacture Manufacturing
MY 2020 Nissan Murano August 31, 2020-September 16, 2020 Canton, MS
MY 2021 Nissan GT-R August 24, 2020-October 13, 2020 Tochigi, Japan
MY 2021 INFINITI Q50 August 20, 2020-October 23, 2020 Tochigi, Japan
MY 2021 INFINITI QX50 August 31, 2020-October 31, 2020 Compas, Mexico
MY 2020 INFINITI QX60 September 22, 2020-October 29, 2020 Smyrna, TN
The defect (described in Section 5 below) is unique to parts manufactured in the
Number 3 furnace at the Yokohama plant that were subsequently shipped to other
plant locations. These parts are identifiable by specific production date ranges
shown above and contain a unique casting stamp. No other Nissan or INFINITI
vehicles are affected.
The name, description and part number(s) of the recalled component(s) are below.
Part Name Part Description Part Number Applicable Model
SPINDLE-KNUCKLE Front steering knuckle 40014/5-4GA0A Infiniti Q50
SPINDLE-KNUCKLE Front steering knuckle 40014/5-JF00A Nissan GT-R
KNUCKLE SPINDLE Front steering knuckle
40014/5-5NA0A INFINITI QX50
Rear Axle Housing
43018/9-5NA0A INFINITI QX50
HOUSING-REAR AXLE Rear Axle Housing 43018/9-1AA0A INFINITI QX60
HOUSING-REAR AXLE Rear Axle Housing 43018/9-1AA0A Nissan Murano
3. Total Number of Vehicles Potentially Involved:
Approximately 14,276 vehicles total.
Model Volume of Production
MY 2020 Nissan Murano 4,774
MY 2021 Nissan GT-R 20
MY 2021 INFINITI Q50 4,142
MY 2021 INFINITI QX50 4,697
MY 2020 INFINITI QX60 643
4. Percentage of Vehicles Estimated to Actually Contain the Defect:
The estimated percentage of vehicles with the defect is unknown. Because
submission within NHTSA’s safety portal will not allow a non-numeric value, 1% is
5. Description of the Defect:
During the heat-treating process for the subject components, a gap in the furnace
door caused the temperature to decrease in a specific area of the furnace. Those
axle components located in the low temperature area of the furnace experienced
an insufficient amount of heat, resulting in poor hardness. The specific components
affected are installed on certain vehicles as the front steering knuckle and/or rear
If the front steering knuckle or rear axle housing receives a strong impact (such as
hitting a curb), the steering knuckle or rear axle housing may deform due to low
hardness. As a result, the steering wheel may become off-center, impairing the
customer’s ability to steer the vehicle or, in the case of rear axle housing, cause
wheel mis-alignment. If the deformation is not detected and the vehicle continues
to be operated, the damaged steering knuckle or rear axle housing may cause
wheel separation from the vehicle, thus increasing the risk of a crash.
6. Chronology of Principal Events:
October 2020 – Nissan became aware of an issue in certain front steering knuckles
and rear axle housings manufactured at the Yokohama, Japan Plant. The subject
steering knuckles and axle housings were determined to be out-of-specification for
hardness. All of the subject parts were produced in the same furnace.
Nissan conducted a plant audit and performed recreation testing, which
determined that an issue with a gap in a particular furnace’s door caused a low
temperature condition that produced low hardness in certain axle components that
were heat treated.
November 2020 through January 2021 – Nissan began an investigation to determine
if the issue affected vehicles sold in the U.S. In addition, Nissan conducted durability
testing on the subject axle components on certain INFINITI Q50 vehicles to
determine the extent of the issue.
The initial testing as it relates to part failure was inconclusive. Nissan decided to
expand the durability testing to other potentially affected models that utilized the
same axle components.
February 2021 through April 2021 – As part of the expanded investigation, Nissan
increased the severity of the testing to determine the safety risk of a potential
failure, allowing for structural and size differences for various models. The extensive
testing included five (5) different Nissan and INFINTI models.
May 20, 2021 – Based on the testing results, Nissan decided to conduct a safety
recall campaign to remedy affected vehicles.
Nissan is not aware of any incidents related to the subject condition in the U.S.
7. Description of Corrective Action:
Owners of all affected vehicles will be notified to take their vehicle to a Nissan dealer
(or INFINITI retailer). The dealer (or retailer) will inspect the casting stamp of the
front steering knuckle and/or rear axle housing for production date. If any of the
components are affected, the dealer will replace the affected parts. This repair will
be performed free of charge for the customer.
Dealers will be notified on June 8, 2021. Nissan will begin notifying all affected
vehicle owners by first class mail beginning July 23, 2021. Your office will be
provided with the final Part 577 owner notification. We will not include a statement
in the Part 577 owner notification concerning reimbursement for the cost of
obtaining a pre-notification remedy as the subject vehicles are still under warranty.
8. Copy of Notices:
Copies of all notices will be provided to NHTSA as they become available.
5 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V402-7979
May 27, 2021 DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- EASY OPERATION: Use the ORION MOTOR TECH Ball Joint Press Tool Set with 4WD Adapter to effortlessly remove press-fit parts including ball joints, U-joints, brake anchor pins, and more on most 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles without removing the control arm.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Fits most American domestic and imported cars and light pickup trucks with press-fit type ball joints. Includes a 4WD adapter for service on 1967 - current 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4WD vehicles with the Dana 30 or 44 front axle (found on Ford, GM, Dodge, IHC, and Jeep vehicles).
- PROFESSIONAL-GRADE DURABILITY: Constructed from heavy-duty forged steel with black-oxide finished adapters for maximum strength and longevity that resists rust and corrosion to endure years of heavy use.
- ALL-IN-ONE TOOL KIT: 3x Receiving Tubes, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
- PROTECTIVE CARRYING CASE: Each component is contained in a heavy-duty plastic carrying case with a handle for safe storage and quick organization. If you are not satisfied with this product or if you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.
- Harm Bal/ crank PULLEY P
- Tool solutions for most all situations
- Built to exceed tool standards
- Designed to help you remove and install press-fit type ball joints without taking the control arm off the vehicle
- Kit services: most Domestic and import rear wheel drive vehicles
- For separating the ball joint from the spindle support arm on domestic and import front wheel drive vehicles
- Adjustable for different size ball joints
- Suitable for most cars and light trucks (not intended for use on 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks)
- Works on ball joints from 1-1/8” to 2-1/8” and 30 to 56mm in size
- Slot is 7/8" wide by 1-1/4" Deep
- ESSENTIAL TOOL FOR BALL JOINT SERVICE - Use the ORION MOTOR TECH Ball Joint Press Set Ball Joint Tool / Bushing Removal Tool with 4WD Adapter to effortlessly remove press fit parts including ball joints, U-joints, brake anchor pins, and more on most 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles without removing the control arm from the vehicle.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY AND DURABILITY - Off road weekend warriors, novices, and professional mechanics trust the ORION kit because ORION MOTOR TECH sources the highest quality components from around the world. Constructed from heavy-duty forged steel with black-oxide finish on adapters for maximum strength and longevity that resists rust and corrosion.
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES - Fit most American domestic and imported 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) cars and light pickup trucks that have press-fit type ball joints, include 4-wheel drive (4WD) adapter that allows service for 1967 thru current 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4WD vehicles having the Dana 30 or 44 front axle (found on Ford, GM, Dodge, IHC and Jeep vehicles).
- CONVENIENTLY ORGANIZED IN CUSTOM MOLDED CASE - Ball joint press / bushing/ removal tool kit is enclosed inside a heavy-duty 11” x 3” x 15” inch (27.9cm x 7.6cm x 38.1cm) plastic blow-molded carrying case with handle for easy storage, safe storage, and quick organization. Package include: 3x Receiving Tube, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
- ORION MOTOR TECH - We pursue outstanding quality and professional technical support. If you are not satisfied with this product or if you have any question, please feel free to let us know.
- This Dynofit U joint and brake anchor pins for Most 2WD and 4WD Cars and Light Trucks, Heat Treated C Clamp Puller is made of high quality material which can excellent press rusted parts effortlessly and it’s not easy to bent.
- This Ball Joint Press Kits has a wide range of applications, it can not only be used to remove ball joints, but also U-joints and brake anchor pins, the operation is easy which won’t take a long time.
- Package:10pcs as pic shown in box, 7/8" (22mm)socket recommended, and the exquisite plastic is through heat treated which make the surface more beautiful, you are not only got a set of tool, you also got a nice gift.
- Well Made: better finish, more smooth screw, flat machined to keep sitting flush against the ball or u-joint, air damping new design thread for little accurate adjustment!
- Brand Promise: 1 year warranty, free return replacement or refund if missing parts, thread problems or anything else
- 1. ALL IN ONE FRONT END SERVICE KIT: Containing 5 adjustable tools for a wide range of domestic and import vehicles. Comes with 1x Ball Joint Separator, 1x Tie Rod and Ball Joint Remover, 1x Conical Pitman Arm Puller, 1x Pitman Arm and Tie Rod End Puller, 1x Pitman Arm Puller, 1x well-organized ABS case.
- 2. HARDENED ALLOY CONSTRUCTION: Extraordinarily tough and durable alloy means these tools can stand up to the toughest jobs. This front end service tool kit can remove the most stubborn ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.
- 3. UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES: The versatile design allows this tool to be used as a pitman arm remover, ball joint separator, or tie rod end puller for many small, domestic rear-wheel-drive vehicles, import vehicles, and light trucks.
- 4. PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE ABS CASE: The custom-molded case is crafted from high-quality ABS hard plastic for the amateur or professional mechanic on the go. Conveniently keeps all your tools in one organized and secure place. Never miss out on a job or project from a misplaced tool.
- 5. ORION MOTOR TECH PROMISE: If any issues from our tools arise please don’t hesitate to contact us. We guarantee the quality of our tools and want to ensure you’re only getting the best. Because to do perform your best, you deserve the best, that’s our Orion Motor Tech Promise.
- SERVICE YOUR VEHICLE: Keep your suspension system running smoothly by replacing worn ball joints with the ABN Ball Joint Removal Tool and Bushing Press Kit; 10 piece ball joint tool kit includes receiver tubes and adapters to work on most press-fit upper and lower ball joints
- REMOVE PARTS EASILY: Remove worn, rusted, and corroded parts with this ball joint remover kit; Works as a ball joint separator tool, u joint press, tie rod end remover tool, and suspension bushing removal tool
- PACKAGE CONTENTS: Ball joint removal kit includes (1) C-frame ball joints press and forcing screw, (3) installation adapters with cups, (3) removal adapters with cups, (3) receiver tubes (2.75 x 3 inch, 2.25 x 2.5 inch, and 1.75 x 2 inch)
- BUILT TO LAST: Heavy-duty forged steel provides maximum strength and durability, while the black-oxide finish helps to resist rust and corrosion; Designed to fit most domestic and imported 2 wheel drive (2WD) and 4 wheel drive (4WD) cars and light trucks with press-fit type ball joints
- CONVENIENT STORAGE: 11 x 3 x 15 inch (27.9 x 7.6 x 38.1cm) plastic blow-molded carrying case with handle provides safe storage, quick organization, and easy transportation
- Kit is designed to cover the vehicles that require ball joint replacement
- Everything required is laid out in this complete 50 piece set
- Comprehensive manual includes diagrams with instructions
- 70 percent of the OEMs have cars with press in ball joints
- Molded storage cases to keep tools organized and easily accessible.
- Complete coverage of car, truck, van and SUV applications
- 70+ adapters c-frame and application guide
- Application guide contains application charts and diagrams with step-by-step instructions
- Application guide covers up to 2008
- Adapter set covers vehicle models listed through current model year
- Fit most American domestic and imported 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) cars and light pickup trucks that have press-fit type ball joints.
- Excellent for removal and installation of press-fit parts such as ball joints, U-joints, brake anchor pins, and more on most 2-wheel drive (2WD) and 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles without removing the control arm from the vehicle.
- Allows service for 1967 thru current 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4WD vehicles having the Dana 44 front axle.
- Package include: 3x Receiving Tube, 1x Removal Adapter, 1x Installation Adapter, 1x Screw, 1x Install Cup Adapter, 1x Forcing-screw Press, 1x Receiving Cup, 1x Installing Cup.
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API