February 26, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V112000
If a small hole is present, a fuel leak may occur if the operator fills the tank over half full, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V112
Manufacturer Nissan North America, Inc.
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 46
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain 2020 Versa vehicles. Due to a manufacturing issue, the fuel tank wall thickness may be insufficient, potentially causing a small hole in the tank seam area.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign
Date: February 27, 2020
Attention: Dealer Principal, Sales, Service & Parts Managers
IMPORTANT: It is a violation of Federal law for retailers to sell or deliver vehicles in their inventory covered by this notification until the campaign action is performed.
|Affected Models/Years:||Affected Population:||Dealer Inventory:||SERVICE COMM |
|Stop Sale In Effect|
|2020 Versa (N18)||46||11||February 27, 2020||YES|
***** Campaign Summary *****
Nissan is reclassifying an existing Quality Hold (PM939) as a Voluntary Safety Recall to replace the fuel tank for specific 2020 Versa (N18) vehicles identified in Service Comm. Due to a manufacturing deviation, the subject vehicles may be equipped with a fuel tank that contains an insufficient wall thickness. More specifically, the wall thickness in one area of the fuel tank was low due to a supplier manufacturing process issue. The low wall thickness, in combination with the burr trimming process, may have resulted in a small hole in the tank seam on certain tanks.
If a small hole is present, a fuel leak may occur if the customer fills the tank over half full. A leak will be detectable by a strong fuel smell in the rear of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, there is potential for a thermal incident.
Affected vehicles are subject to stop sale and are either currently in dealer inventory or assigned and in transit to the dealer.
***** What Dealers Should Do****
- Verify if vehicles are affected by this Voluntary Recall Campaign using Service Comm or DBS National Service History Campaign I.D.
- New vehicles in dealer inventory can also be identified using DBS (Sales-> Vehicle Inventory, and filter by Open Campaign).
- Refer to NPSB 15-460 for additional information
- Please continue to check newly arriving inventory for campaign applicability.
- Dealers must not sell, lease, trade, rent, or loan any vehicles in dealer inventory affected by this recall campaign until after the vehicle has been repaired.
- Dealers should use NTB20-012 to correct any vehicles subject to this campaign.
- Once remedied, dealers should submit the claim, using the claims coding provided, and release the vehicle.
***** Release Schedule *****
|Nissan will begin sending notifications to owners of all potentially affected vehicles in March 2020 via U.S. Mail.|
***** Dealer Responsibility *****
It is the dealer’s responsibility to check Service Comm or DBS National Service History using the appropriate Campaign I.D. for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall campaign, which for any reason enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in dealer inventory. If a VIN subject to this recall campaign was part of a dealer trade, the letter associated with that VIN should be forwarded to the appropriate dealer for service completion.
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q. Is this a Safety recall?
Q. What is the reason for the Voluntary Safety Recall?
A. Due to a manufacturing deviation, the subject vehicles may be equipped with a fuel tank that contains an insufficient wall thickness. More specifically, the wall thickness in one area of the fuel tank was low due to a supplier manufacturing process issue. The low wall thickness, in combination with the burr trimming process, may have resulted in a small hole in the tank seam on certain tanks.
Q. What is the possible effect of this condition?
A. If a small hole is present, a fuel leak may occur if the customer fills the tank over half full. A leak will be detectable by a strong fuel smell in the rear of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, there is potential for a thermal incident.
Q. Is this a Stop Sale?
Q. What will be the corrective action for this voluntary recall campaign?
A. The dealer will replace the fuel tank with a new one.
Q. If my fuel tank is being replaced, will I still have the same amount of fuel?
A. Yes. The dealer will transfer your fuel to the new tank. Customers are requested to bring their vehicles in for service with no more than ¼ tank of fuel to facilitate the repair.
Q. How long will the corrective action take?
A. This service, which is conducted at no charge to you for parts and labor, should take up to two (2) hours to complete. However, your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.
Q. When will vehicle owners be notified?
A. Nissan will begin sending notifications to owners of all potentially affected vehicles in March 2020 via U.S. Mail.
Q. Is my vehicle safe to drive?
A. If your vehicle is subject to this campaign, you will receive an Owner Notification letter from Nissan, which will provide instructions on how to remedy your vehicle. If a fuel leak or smell exists, owners should bring their vehicle to the dealer as soon as possible to be inspected.
Q. Is there anything owners can do to mitigate this condition?
Q. Are parts readily available?
Q. Will a rental vehicle be provided while the dealer is servicing the vehicle?
A. Rental is available while replacement parts are on order.
|502||Rental Expense||$120 (Max)|
|Contact the Warranty claims call center 1-800-258-7008 Option 7, if additional expense is required. Please refer to WBP19-017 for additional information on rental guidelines.|
Q. Will towing be provided?
A. Towing may be provided for the customer, if a fuel leak or strong fuel order is present, through roadside assistance (1-800-225-2476) while the vehicle is within the normal warranty coverage period.
Q. Is there any charge for the repair?
A. No. The remedy will be performed for the customer free of charge for parts and labor.
Q. Will I have to take my vehicle back to the selling dealer to have the service performed?
A. No, any authorized Nissan dealer is able to perform the recall campaign.
For Consumer Affairs: Please inform us of the dealer where you would like to have the corrective action completed.
Q. I have lost confidence in the vehicle. Will Nissan replace or repurchase the vehicle?
A. The remedy will fully correct this condition. As the condition will be corrected, there is no basis for repurchasing or replacing your vehicle.
Q. What model year vehicles are involved?
|February 19, 2020||Quality Hold||New campaign announcement|
|February 27, 2020||Voluntary Safety Recall||New Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign Announcement|
|FE20-001||NTB20-012||February 26, 2020|
CAMPAIGN ID #: PM939
APPLIED VEHICLE: 2020 Versa (N18)
Check Service COMM or Dealer Business Systems (DBS) National Service History to confirm campaign eligibility.
Nissan is conducting this voluntary safety recall campaign on certain specific model year 2020 Versa vehicles to replace the fuel tank. This service will be performed at no charge to the customer for parts or labor.
Nissan has assigned identification number PM939 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communication and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
It is the dealer’s responsibility to check Service COMM or Dealer Business Systems (DBS) National Service History for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall which for any reason enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer’s inventory. Federal law requires that new vehicles in dealer inventory which are the subject of a safety recall must be corrected prior to sale. Failure to do so can result in civil penalties by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While federal law applies only to new vehicles, Nissan strongly encourages dealers to correct any used vehicles in their inventory before they are retailed.
- Replace the fuel tank.
- For fuel tank replacement, refer to the Electronic Service Manual (ESM), section ENGINE – FUEL SYSTEM – REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION – FUEL TANK.
|PACKING FUEL GAUGE||17342-EA000||1|
Submit a “CM” line claim using the following claims coding:
|CAMPAIGN (“CM”) ID||DESCRIPTION||OP CODE||FRT|
|PM939||Replace Fuel Tank||PM9390||1.7 hrs|
|February 26, 2020||NTB20-012||Original bulletin published|
PO Box 685001
Franklin, TN 37068
NHTSA Recall 20V-112
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Nissan has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2020 Model Year Nissan Versa vehicles. Our records indicate that you own or lease the Nissan vehicle identified by the VIN on the inside of this notice.
Reason for Recall
Motivo del Retiro
Due to a manufacturing process issue, the fuel tank on certain 2020 Model Year Versa vehicles may have been manufactured out of specification, potentially resulting in a small hole in the tank seam. If a small hole is present, a fuel leak may occur resulting in a strong fuel smell in the rear of the vehicle. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, may lead to a fire.
What Nissan Will Do
Qué Hará Nissan
Your Nissan dealer will replace the fuel tank and gasket. This service, free for parts and labor, can take up to two (2) hours to complete. Please bring your vehicle in with less than ¼ tank of gas for your service. Your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.
What You Should Do
Qué Debes Hacer
Please contact your Nissan dealer in order to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle repaired as soon as possible. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. For more information about the recall, please visit https://nna.secure.force.com/recall?camp=PM939.
If you smell fuel in the vehicle, immediately contact your authorized Nissan dealer to have your vehicle remedied.
Por favor, póngase en contacto con su concesionario Nissan para concertar una cita para reparar su vehículo lo antes posible. Se requiere que traigas esta notificación el día de tu cita. Para obtener más información sobre el retiro, visite https://nna.secure.force.com/recall?camp=PM939.
Si huele combustible en el vehículo, comuníquese inmediatamente con su distribuidor autorizado de Nissan para que reparen su vehículo. Traiga su vehículo con menos de ¼ de tanque de gasolina para su servicio.
If the dealer fails to, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Department, Nissan North America, Inc. P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 370685003. The toll free number is 1-800-867-7669.
Si el concesionario no cumple, o no le es posible realizar las reparaciones necesarias sin cargos, puedes contactar al Departamento Nacional de Asuntos del Consumidor a: National Consumer Affairs Department, Nissan North America, Inc. P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. El número libre de cargos es 1800-867-7669.
You may also submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Thank you for your cooperation. We appreciate your Nissan ownership and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Gracias por tu cooperación. Agradecemos tu patrocinio como dueño de un Nissan y te ofrecemos nuestras disculpas por cualquier inconveniente que esto pueda ocasionar.
February 26, 2020
Mr. Jeff Giuseppe
Associate Administrator for Enforcement
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Attn: Recall Management Division (NVS-215)
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20590
Dear Mr. Giuseppe:
We are transmitting the enclosed Defect Information Report (DIR) in accordance
with 49 CFR Part 573. A voluntary recall campaign will be initiated and your
office provided with the notices.
Nissan North America, Inc.
One Nissan Way
Franklin, TN 37067
PO Box 685001
Franklin, TN 37068
DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Nissan Mexicana, S.A, De C.V.
Fuel tank assembly part numbers:
Model Year/Make Model Part Description Part Number
MY2020 Nissan Versa FUEL TANK ASSY 172025EE0A
Gasket Kit GASKET KIT 17342EA000
Gasket GASKET – EXHAUST 2069119B0A
2. Vehicles Potentially Involved:
Certain Model Year 2020 Nissan Versa vehicles manufactured from
September 6, 2019 through September 23, 2019 at the Aguascalientes,
The affected fuel tanks are unique to the make and model vehicles
manufactured during the above dates provided by the supplier traceability
records. No other vehicles are affected.
The name and address of the fuel tank supplier is:
TI GROUP AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS
Av. Del Siglo #250, Int. 0, Ciudad Industrial
Parque Industrial Millenium
San Luis Potosí, SLP, Mexico
Phone: +52 444 137 0011
Email: [email protected]
3. Total Number of Vehicles Potentially Involved:
Approximately 46 Model Year 2020 Nissan Versa vehicles
4. Percentage of Vehicles Estimated to Actually Contain the Defect:
1 The estimated percentage of vehicles involved with defect is unknown. However, 1% is used on
NHTSA’s safety portal because it will not allow a non-numeric value.
5. Description of the Defect:
Due to a manufacturing deviation, the subject vehicles may be equipped with
a fuel tank that contains an insufficient wall thickness. More specifically, the
wall thickness in one area of the fuel tank was low due to a supplier
manufacturing process issue. The low wall thickness, in combination with the
burr trimming process, may have resulted in a small hole in the tank seam on
If a small hole is present, a fuel leak may occur if the customer fills the tank
over half full. A leak will be detectable by a strong fuel smell in the rear of
the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, there is potential for a thermal
6. Chronology of Principal Events:
Early January 2020 – Nissan became aware of a customer report of a strong
fuel smell in the rear, lower area of a model year 2020 Versa vehicle in
During the course of the dealer investigation and repair, the dealer identified
a small hole in the seam of the fuel tank that appeared to be the source of
the fuel leak. Nissan notified the fuel tank supplier of the issue.
An audit of the supplier records indicated that a blow mold machine failure
resulted in the potential for low wall thickness on certain tanks. This
condition, combined with a molding burr trimming process, resulted in a
small hole along the tank seam. Supplier records identified 135 tanks (46
manufactured for U.S. market) within the affected range of the subject
February 13, 2020 – Nissan performed a check of U.S. dealer inventory and
found eleven (11) Versa vehicles in dealer inventory with fuel tanks
manufactured within the subject range.
February 19, 2020 – Based on the foregoing, Nissan decided to conduct a
Safety Recall Campaign in accordance with the defect notification
requirements specified in 49 CFR Part 573 to remedy the remaining vehicles.
7. Description of Corrective Action:
Nissan will notify all owners of potentially affected vehicles by first-class mail
on March 23, 2020. Dealers will be notified on February 27, 2020. The
dealer will replace the fuel tank, including a new gasket.
Nissan will not include a statement in the Part 577 owner notification
concerning reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy
as the subject vehicles are under warranty.
8. Copy of Notices:
Copies of all notices will be provided to NHTSA as they become available.
1 Affected Product
6 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Latest Recalls Documents
- Cleans injectors, carb jets and passageways
- Cleans and lubricates intake valves, pistons and cylinders
- Dissolves and cleans fuel residue in fuel systems
- Dissolves oil deposits in crankcase
- Clean timing chain tensioners and VVT actuators, quiet noisy lifters
- Removes harmful deposits that accumulate from normal use
- For use with all 2‐ and 4‐cycle carbureted and fuel‐injected gasoline engines
- Restores power to poor or non-running engines
- 12 ounce spray can
- Improves fuel/air flow and overall engine performance
- Proven performance
- Use in gas, ethanol/flex fuel, diesel & biodiesel engines
- Restores fuel economy and improves engine performance
- PEA (polyetheramine) effectively removes carbon deposits from the entire fuel & oil systems
- Stabilizes fuel and oil for up to 2 years
- Helps pass emissions testing, Lubricates upper cylinders, and Fights ethanol related rust & corrosion
- Breaks surface tension and cuts through corrosion and deposits of all kinds
- Loosens, lubricates, cleans and protects parts and mechanisms
- Use in the shop or in the house
- 12 oz. canister
- Unique product cleaning the combusƟ on chamber and piston rings of a deposit. Eliminate the cause of accelerated wear of the engine. Packaging for standard motors up to 2 litres.
- Includes a Formula with Anti-Friction Metal Treatment Technology
- Features Engineering Designed to Treat Metal Surfaces of Both Gasoline and Diesel Fueled Engines
- Offers Molecules that Interact with Metal Surfaces and Chemically Bond to Create a Protective Layer that Reduces Damaging Friction and Heat
- Offers to Protect the Engine Even when the Motor Oil is Not Yet Fully Circulating
- Features a Formula Containing No Solid Particles Such as PTFE Resins, 'Molys', Zinc, Copper, or Graphite
- SOFT AND COMFORTABLE - Our structured mid profile snapback leather patch trucker cap has 100% cotton front panels with 100% polyester mesh back panels. The 6 panel cap features a seamed front panel with full buckram, matching fabric undervisor, matching color sweatband and a pre curved visor. It is a one size fits all item with an adjustable snapback closure. This makes a great hat for men or women.
- QUALITY AND CONVENIENCE - With its soft quality sweatband this hat is comfortable and convenient. Besides being soft this hat is quite compact and easily fits in a jacket or pants pocket if you have to go indoors. You could also snap it to your belt loop or wedge it bill fits into the back of your pants. When you head back outdoors, grab this top cap and don't worry.
- WHAT SIZE IS IT? - This is a snapback hap with an adjustable enclosure. It can be adjusted for whatever size head is needed and works well if you prefer a loose or tight fitting hat. Adjust it to your comfort level.
- THE ENGRAVED PRINT - These caps are laser engraved with care upon purchase. We only use the finest leather patches. We've been doing this for a while so we have honed our engraving skills and you will get the finest hat we can offer you. The design you see is burned into the leather patch secured to the front buckram of the hat just like shown. Fear not. We've thought of everything with this product.
- WHERE IS IT MADE? - Each of our hats are engraved in the USA. We take care in our craftsmanship and quality and will only deliver you a premium quality product.
- DETAILS AND QUALITY - This quality dad hat looks and feels great. It features a 6 panel unstructured design with a 3 1/8" crown. It features an adjustable antique brass buckle closure on the back. The visor of the hat features four-row stitching with a matching undervisor. The colors pop and are very vibrant.
- THE SOFTEST FABRIC - Created with 100% cotton this cap has a lightweight comfortable feel. The interior of the hat is soft and doesn't leave that annoying itchy feeling that some hats have. With the adjustable nature of our classic dad hat and a low profile look, you can get the best feel that is snug and comfortable.
- GREAT QUALITY EMBROIDERY - We use a top of the line digital embroidery process to apply the pictured design to this cap. Quality stitching and a great look round out this great cap.
- PERFECT GIFTS FOR EVERYONE - Give a great gift to anyone on your list for Christmas, Father's day, Mother's day, Birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter, or any gift giving holiday. It can make a great gift for the boss, secretary, neighbor, bachelor or bachelorette parties, corporate events, or other group gatherings.
Last update on 2020-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-08-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API